A snappy guide to League of Legends betting
Nearly every sportsbook that offers esports betting will have odds on League of Legends. If you are interested in gambling on a League of Legends game, there are a few things you should know before diving straight in - which is why our LOL betting guide is here for you!
Types of Bets
You can approach esports betting and by extension League of Legends betting in much the same way you would with a traditional sport. You can place a bet on the winner of a tournament, on the winner of a single match, proposition bets like “how many matches team X will win” in a certain tournament or event, or a League of Legends handicap bet on the outcome of a longer running series or championship.
Understand the champions
There are over 140 champions that a player can choose from in League of Legends. These are the characters that a pro player will use in the game. The champion they pick will determine their play style as well as their effectiveness in the map or against other players. They fall into 1 of 6 categories:
- Fighter: A champion with an average survivability rating and damage dealing abilities this is a popular choice for player who want to get into close combat skirmishes
- Marksman: Ranged champions who tend to chip away at an opposing players health rather than deal a large amount of damage in one single attack.
- Mage: Champions with powerful magic abilities that can support other players on their team, but they are not well suited to defensive positions and often have a small health pool.
- Assassin: Focused on fast kills, a very skill based champion class. They are vey fast and can often flank enemies for quick kills, like the Mage they do not have a large pool of health.
- Tank: Does what it says on the tin, these champions can take a huge amount of damage and still keep on going.
- Support: These champions bolster and heal the rest of their team. They are not well suited for combat but often support champions in the Fighter, Marksman, or Tank categories.
Main factors of importance when placing League of Legends betting tips
Don’t go in blind and trust the basic betting odds
Make sure you stay up to date on the League of Legends competitive scene. It’s as simple as checking out the game on Twitch and reading a few websites on the subject. You should be able to check up on the latest results, roster changes, match history, upcoming tournaments and, even more important in 2021, delays. These stats and game information will help you make more informed decisions about your betting.
Find the bookmaker that is the best for you
When you are looking for the best bookmaker to suit your tastes, you should pay attention to the features that they offer. Which website you choose could depend on the odds that they offer. Every site will offer bets on match winners but if you feel confident enough and want to expand your betting possibilities you might have to search a bit harder.
Watch and play the game before you bet
It’s as simple as checking out the game on Twitch. At any given moment there will be thousands of gamers streaming League of Legends. Make sure you check out the tournament schedules and watch some pro level games. Nothing will help you understand the nuances of the esport better than just sitting down with the game and giving it a go for a few hours. It’s fun and you will have a better understanding about the choices that pro players make and how it may affect your betting choices.
Why you can trust the betting tips at strafe.com
Strafe is an easy to use and reliable source of betting tips. You can stay up to date on your favorite teams and players through real-time updates, view the widest tournament coverage, and access deep statistics before, during, and after matches.
Strafe has developed its own ranking system which enables odds setting for every esports match covered. We take a deep and focused approach towards esports statistics. We want our users to understand everything that goes into placing a bet on an esports title. Games like League of Legends have a lot more going on under the hood than the average person might guess.
Our key to success: The tools we use to analyze the daily betting market
Strafe has an esports database with live coverage of 58,000 matches, 12,000 professional players, 2,600 teams, eight different esports titles and users across 150 countries.
Our experts aggregate and curate esports news and data to your customizations. Strafe has also developed its own ranking system which enables odds setting for every esports match covered. Using this odds-system, Strafe has developed a unique entertaining social betting game where users vote on the outcome of games, gain points, climb the leaderboards and compete with other fans.
LOL and Beyond!
By bringing an aggregated overview of what is going on in major esports titles, like League of Legends, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch, DOTA 2, Fortnite, and more, Strafe connects and engages users in over 150 countries.
Our experts are not only interested in the wins and losses of teams. They take a wider approach to look at statistics for individual players, champions, teams and maps. They even look at the lane coverage for MOBAs like League of Legends and DOTA 2.
This deeper focus on statistics gives our users the leg up that they need to enter the esports betting scene primed and ready to go.
Things you should think about before placing a League of Legends bet
There are three main betting options for League of Legends outside of the simple match winner bet.
- First Blood: You place bets on which team you believe will make the first kill of the game. This is a great one to place as it really draws you into the game and it usually resolves itself in the first 10 minutes of the match.
- Match Duration: Since the game is objective based you can bet on the time it will take for the game to end and one team to complete the objectives. One game could last from 115 minutes to an hour.
- First to take Baron: Another “First” bet. This option gives bettors the chance to bet on the team you believe will kill the first Baron of the match.
The timing of your bet is crucially important!
Like most sports you can bet before the match (pre-match betting) or during the match (live betting). Your choice of time to bet will greatly impact the choices that you make.
Pre match betting requires a lot of information beyond simple odds. If you take your time and understand the two teams facing each other, you will have a better chance at winning your bets.
League of Legends live betting options provide you with a whole host of information that you did not have before the match began. This is even more important for league of Legends. Don’t be hasty, make sure that you practice patience and bet only when you believe it is a lock.
Our Top 5 tips for finding your favourite bookie for League of Legends
Ease of use:
If you are new to betting or just esports betting, it is worth taking you time and finding the bookmaker with the best onboarding process for new users. You don’t want your first attempt at betting on League of Legends to end prematurely because the website made it too hard to use.
Most betting sites offer you a welcome or sign in bonus for creating an account on their website with a League of Legends promo code. We have provided info on the best welcome bonuses for new players, so check that out.
Fast pay-out options:
If you took your time and understood the odds, chances are that you will eventually win something. When you do, you want to get your money as quickly as possible. Make sure that the online sportsbook you choose can pay you within 48-72 hours. If you are waiting for 2 weeks, it can feel like forever.
While League of legends is one of the most popular esports titles for bookies to offer, it is a good idea to choose a sportsbook that offers more than the basics. Eventually you will want to branch out and if a site offers odds on lesser-known titles, all the better.
It seems odd to think but some online sportsbooks are still desktop only. That is fine is you want to be stuck in front of your computer. If you want more flexibility you should choose a site that has a mobile version of their website or, even better, a standalone app.
Our Top5 tips for wagering your League of Legends bonuses - 200 Words
Build a betting bank:
In any form of betting or gambling you should know how to manage your money in a safe way. It is tempting to wager a lot on odds that seem too good to be true. Make sure you set an amount that you are willing to lose each month. Make sure not to exceed that amount.
Choose the right amount to bet:
If you are new to betting, don’t jump into the deep end and start betting with crazy amounts of money. It’s important to start small and build up.
Once you have built a betting bank. Say you are willing to lose $150 dollars a month. If you are ok with that, we recommend placing a set percentage of that bank on a single bet. we recommend 5% of your bank per bet. So, 5% of $150 dollars would be $7.50.
Understand the odds:
This isn’t too difficult. High odds mean a larger pay-out, but also a larger risk of losing. Low odds give you small pay-outs, but a higher chance of winning.
If all you have to go one is team names, you will be out of luck and out of cash pretty quickly. You should be able to check up on the latest results, roster changes, match history, upcoming tournaments and, even more important in 2021, delays.
- Useful League of Legends betting tip vocabulary
- LOL: League of Legends.
- LCS: League of Legends Championship Series. A League of Legends competitive event run by Riot Games and takes place in North America and Europe. 20 teams compete, 10 per continent. The top three teams from each region compete in the League of Legends World Championships.
- Buff: Once certain conditions are met in a game of League of Legends; characters can be given an ability that increases their power. This is called a buff.
- Champion: The character controlled by the player. They auto attack and can use 4 different abilities.
- Meta: Short for ‘metagame.’ This is the overall structure of the game along with the currently popular strategies.
- KDA Ratio: Short for ‘kill death assist ratio’. This measures the kills, deaths and assists a player has earned. The higher the number, the better the player is doing.
- RNG: Random Number Generation. This term is used to describe the random and sometimes unpredictable nature of events in the game.
- Strat: Short for strategy. The plans each team has for the game.
- Pre-match Betting: Betting that takes place before an event starts.
- Live betting: Betting that takes place during an event.
- Future Bets: This is a bet on the outcome of a tournament, series or single game. It is placed before the event takes place.
- Proposition Bet: This is a bet on a certain outcome in an event. For example, the score at the end of a game or the total number of wins for a specific team.
- Spread/Handicap Bets: An esports bookmaker turns a sporting event in which there are varied odds into an even money contest, by giving a virtual advantage or disadvantage to certain competitors in order to even the field.
- Bookmaker: The organisation that gives odds on the outcome of events and allows users to place bets on them.
Our final thoughts
At Strafe we provide you with up to the second updates on your favourite esports titles. You can stay up to date on your favorite teams and players through real-time updates, view the widest tournament coverage, and access deep statistics before, during, and after matches.
Strafe has developed its own ranking system which enables odds setting for every esports match covered. You are in safe hands if you choose to use us as your betting tip provider.